Thursday, June 18, 2009

So Who's LuraLu?

That would be me, Alison McMillan Chappell, aka ArtsyAllieKat on twitter. That's actually the name of my budding bath and body business. It's a combination of my maternal great-grandmother's name (Leura) and my paternal great grandmother's name (Lula). Those who know me well, know that I am a genealogy buff. In the process of researching my family history I learned about quite a few amazing women in my lineage, with Leura and Lula being two of my favorites. Leura was a businesswoman, in a time when few women were in business. She and her daughters together with her husband Ben, ran the City Hotel in Monroeville, Alabama which was famous for it's wonderful family style meals. She also ran a sucessful dressmaking and tailoring shop too. She's an inspiration to me.

3 comments:

Rurality said...

I love the sentiment behind the name LuraLu! I'm kind of glad I don't have to come up with a name that's a combo of Lizzie/Hattie/Naumie/Essie though. :)

ArtsyAllieKat said...

LOL, now that would be a challenge :)!

jeweldeen said...

Isn't it amazing that our ancestors were multi talented as well. I have much of that is my husband's family. His grandmother and great grandmother wrote music, performed, taught, was an organizer, drew houseplans,plus much much more. I find it an inspiration as well.
You go girl!

Search This Blog

Blog Archive